Friday, May 31, 2013

Surprise! It's Everton!

After re-thinking my Premier League finalists (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and West Ham), I looked into some other clubs to root for and came across one suggested by a reader -- Everton.

In my research, I discovered that Everton has been part of England's top division for decades and have won the FA Cup five times (a good start). The club has also gone through some struggles, but it has bounced back consistently -- which, for someone who roots for a perennial loser in the Cleveland Browns, is a must. Everton doesn't finish in the top half of the table every year, but as long as it finishes ahead of Liverpool in the standings, its fans have something to be happy about.

Finally, I liked the fact that Everton once had a player by the name of Dixie Dean, who scored a record 60 goals during the 1928 championship season. The name sounds like Dizzy Dean, and his record has stood longer than Babe Ruth's home run record.

So for those reasons, I have decided to go a completely different route. I shall be an Everton supporter! I just hope the club can move up from its recent sixth-place finish to qualify for the European Champions League next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment