Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Dodgers should cut "Donnie Baseball" loose

Before you think I'm off my rocker, hear me out.

This idea isn't meant to help the Los Angeles Dodgers so much as it's meant to help Don Mattingly. He deserves a whole lot better than managing for another one-year contract with this club.

Mattingly may not have the managerial pedigree that his predecessor and mentor (Joe Torre) has, but he's proven himself to be a good manager who is getting better year by year. Look at what he did this season. The Dodgers struggled for the first two months and seemed destined for a last-place finish, but Mattingly lit a fire under this team (with a little help from Yasiel Puig) that vaulted them to the National League West title and two wins away from the World Series. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Mattingly certainly seems to think he deserves a long-term deal. He said as much at Monday's wrap-up press conference in L.A. with general manager (a.k.a. his boss) Ned Colletti within a few feet of him on the podium. That took some guts, but Mattingly has always been a straight shooter. It didn't surprise me in the least that he'd go out on a limb like that.

The reaction from the Dodgers front office, though, indicates that maybe Mattingly should find another organization to work for. They fired his bench coach and good friend, Trey Hillman, Tuesday. Something tells me Colletti didn't discuss the move with Mattingly first, especially since bench coaches are the right-hand men for managers. They're the ones managers turn to when they seek advice on making a tough in-game decision. To lose someone that has your total trust in such a manner is very tough to take.

It could also be considered a shot from Colletti across Mattingly's bow. It's almost as if Colletti is saying to Mattingly, "If you're going to tell me what I should do in front of the media, I'm going to show you who's the boss. I'm going to make it so uncomfortable for you that you'll be begging me to fire you." I don't know for certain if that's what Colletti is thinking, but it seems logical.

I know one thing: Mattingly shouldn't have to take this from Colletti. There are 29 other Major League Baseball franchises out there. Some of them are much farther away from making the World Series than the Dodgers, but perhaps they would be more willing to give Mattingly the latitude he needs to craft a winning squad with a multi-year deal.

Whether he walks away or Colletti fires him, I think it's time for Mattingly to leave L.A. and find another team to manage. Let someone else try to coax the Dodgers to the 2014 World Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment